This house, built in 1908, was completely renovated by the present owners in 2009. The floor, walls and roof of the original house were insulated, and heritage double glazed windows fitted. A new extension was built using a timber frame insulated with hemcrete, with a sedum roof and a double glazed folding glass wall.
The house is heated by geothermal energy delivered primarily through underfloor heating, with fan assisted radiators in the part of the original house where the floor could not be lifted. Four boreholes of up to 50 m were drilled down, and cold fluid is pumped down one tube, while a return tube carries warmed fluid to the house. A heat pump extracts energy from the circulating fluid and uses it to warm the water used to heat the house and domestic hot water.